My 40th birthday arrived near the end of October. I had  been regarding its approach  in a thoughtful mood. My 30th birthday had been at the point of major life changes, with marriage and fatherhood each arriving within a month of my birthday. Since my crystal ball tells me that this decade will  also bring  major changes, I felt the need to mark the day with a personal challenge to set the correct tone for the coming years.With cycling occupying my mind more and more over recent years I decided that it was appropriate to attempt my first long bike ride.
I set a goal of 100km. This is no big deal to many, many riders but it is twice my previous longest ride. Although I ride a bike almost every day of the year they are always short trips, averaging about 20 km per day. I felt that I was in good shape, but would it translate into the ability to achieve longer distances? Also, I would now be 40 years old. Surely I would wake up on the morning of my birthday in a suddenly decrepit state.
My bike choice was obvious : my 1983 Nishiki Continental Touring Bike. It is a really lovely ride, smooth, light and reliable. For the trip I picked up some skookum new Schwalbe Marathon tires and a bike computer so I could know how far I had cycled. I had recently bought a used Arkel handlebar bag just because it was cheap and I now had  reason to use it. I had hoped to finish setting this bike up for touring this summer but it never happened. This trip would hopefully make up for that a little.

On the morning of my birthday the temperature was near the freezing mark. I dressed accordingly and brought a small pannier to shed layers into. As I don’t actually own a water bottle I had to borrow one from my unsuspecting, sleeping  wife. I supplemented my lunch materials with a few items from the local bakery . I probably have the wrong attitude to ever be any sort of sporting cyclist: I didn’t pack anything for hydration or nutrition but instead brought food and drink. The Environment Canada weather report informed me of steady winds from the Northwest. I accordingly decided that the first part of my trip would be to the North and West so as to tackle the winds when I was at my freshest. I planned to cycle just North of the city and explore the surrounding countryside.The first part of the trip was easy. I sped through familiar neighbourhoods and enjoyed the sights. I dipped into the river valley and headed North past Hermitage Park.

Ready to depart.

This was the first real test of the vintage Ideale saddle I had recently put on the bike. It made for a very comfortable ride.

Picking up food at the Portuguese bakery.

Heading North through the river valley.

I was soon on the outskirts of the city. This was the best part of my ride. It was very peaceful moving briskly along the empty road. It was strange knowing that there were no vehicles approaching from behind and I wondered why it had taken me so long to get around to riding outside the city. These quiet roads were  such a short distance from my house. Nishiki-san was running smooth and silent. I varied my route at my whim, sometimes North, sometimes West. I headed an extra 5 km along one road to check out the Railway Museum although I assumed it would be closed. I was correct.

I pedaled past farmer’s fields and small groups of houses.  I discovered an abandoned mountain bike ( a nothing special Supercycle). There was a field of at least 100 geese lounging about before continuing their flight South. Smart geese.  Fleeing the Alberta winter sounds like a good idea.  I stopped a one point to cut a cat-tail that I stuck in my pannier as a standard.  Considering the length of time I’ve lived in Edmonton I have escaped the city very few times. Mostly I just enjoyed the feeling of riding in a rural setting.  Though the details of the prairie rural landscape are different from the East Coast were I grew up there is a similar overall spirit.

Country roads!

This Hay Bale Jack-o-Lantern alone was worth getting out of the city to see.

Prairie Nishiki

Cat-Tail Rider

Oh boy, I do so love this bike.

It's just as well the Railway Museum was closed as I likely would have lost a lot riding time here.

The big Sikh temple North of Edmonton.

I never did use the map.

Once you get out of the city there is very little to block the wind. The weather report from the city center airport tells me that the wind was still from the Northwest at about 25 km/hour. I can tell you that it definitely felt to be more from the West than the North. As I struggled West on highway 37 my speed rapidly dropped. At one point, as I toiled up a very slight hill into the wind my speed was an unimpressive 16km/hour. By this time I had started to get a feel for how long my trip was going to take. I knew that I couldn’t continue Westward and hope to get home in any reasonable amount of time and I was even tempted to give up. Instead, I decided to put my tail between my legs and flee back South into the city to continue my ride. It turned out that this was easier decided than done and it took some time until I reached the next good road South. This was Range Road 244 at Namao.

Idyllic postcard scenes like this made the ride into the headwind worth it.

This helpful sign amused me

I like this tiny but well maintained church.

Across from the church was this very typical little prairie store.

This is the point at which I fled back to the city.

I rode briskly back towards the city, not entirely sure what my chosen route would be like.  It started with more pleasant country scenery and light traffic until I neared CFB Edmonton. At this point I encountered another cyclist headed in the opposite direction! This would be the only other cyclist I encountered. As I passed by the Edmonton Garrison I learned that it is important to remember to zip one’s handle bar bag closed after use. Otherwise, when you hit a bump your lunch and camera may be violently ejected onto the asphalt . It turns out that my camera is more shockproof than I thought, thank goodness!
 As I drew closer to the city I had to alter my route to avoid busy thoroughfares and dense traffic.After the idyllic country riding it was somewhat deflating to return to the urban blight of the far North end of Edmonton. Tightly packed, grandiosely named developments of bland monster homes clustered around stagnant looking ponds. I stopped for a brief rest in the pleasantly landscaped park surrounding Lake Beaumaris, a human-made lake that I used to visit when I first arrived in Edmonton and was living at my brother’s. I rode two quick laps around the lake and headed back up onto the city streets. Castle Downs is a good example of the sort of city planning that I dislike. Unless you want to ride on the few main streets you get trapped in confusing, intestinal, looping  roads and cul-de-sacs. I rode in circles for some time and was absolutely denied the chance to make any real progress West or South. I returned to the main roads.
When I eventually worked my way back into the core of Edmonton my spirits started to lift. I rode the grid down the tree-lined avenues of the older neighbourhoods. This is the Edmonton that I love and have roamed for the past decade. Although I was starting to feel a little tired, the ride started to be fun again. I dipped down onto the familiar river valley trails looking for the perfect spot to finally eat my lunch. The perfect spot eluded me and I eventually stopped on the grounds of the Muttart’s to rest beneath a tree. Lunch was leisurely and pleasant. I discovered that the lady at the bakery had completely misrepresented the flavour of the cheese I had purchased. Instead of mild and creamy it was crumbly, pungent and incredibly salty. It was good, but a little odd. I ended the meal with few celebratory sips of scotch from my flask.
After resting under the tree for a spell I climbed back on the bike and pushed on through the river valley, wanting to reach my goal quickly. As I toiled up the steep hill to Forest Heights I reflected that at this late part of the ride I should probably have remained up at the much flatter street level instead of descending into the valley. On the other hand,when  I paced behind a slower cyclist near the top of the hill I could easily have overtaken him. That made me feel better. I gradually headed homeward watching the odometer for the big moment. As it turned out, I misjudged the distance home and I had to ride a few laps around my neighbourhood to reach the 100km mark. When the moment arrived I rang my little brass bell several times in self-congratulation. Minutes later I was resting comfortably in my kitchen rocking chair sipping a home-brewed apple cider. Ah, the cycling life is good.

Another prairie postcard-like scene.

This path got me through some of the North Edmonton quagmire.

Down near the river.

80 km into the ride.

Tea, Scotch, Bread, Cheese, Apple, Brownie

This is the view from flat on my back after lunch.

My home for the past decade.

 Although I was somewhat fatigued I felt that I could have ridden farther still. With a little preparation I feel sure that I could complete a century ride.  It was a bit late in the season to contemplate it, but it will definitely be a goal of mine for the summer of 2012. It is heartening for me to note that despite the headwinds, my numerous stops to take photos, and an extremely un-hurried lunch that I still completed the 100km in under the allowable time for a randonneuring populaire. I am quite happy with this result.Furthermore, on the following day I experienced no real soreness or other after effects. Not bad for a quadragenarian after his first long bike ride.

8 thoughts on “Quadragenarian

  1. A well illustrated tale. I like your approach to hydration and nutrition. I am a great believer in the cheese and tomato roll for longer rides.

    I am sure that if you can do 100km, 100 miles will not be a problem.


  2. An impressive feat, especially given the cold weather. It does not appear that you have much cycling-specific gear (shoes, tights, gloves) and yet you did not suffer an ill effects. I could not do such a distance without those items. Likewise, during a century ride last September I discovered to my horror what a lack of chamois cream can do to you. Something to consider as you extend your distances.

    Your description reminds me of why I enjoy these types of rides – a sense of adventure with just a tinge of danger created by being far from home on a bicycle. The sites are always interesting and the journey is more than half the fun. Well done!


    • Thanks! It was a great day and has given me the delusion that I might try randonneuring.

      My general philosophy is that a bicycle is a simple machine that doesn’t require special equipment (with the exception of my helmet) to use in everyday life. I generally ride in my street clothes and this trip reflects that. On the other hand, I can see that I will likely change my approach as I attempt longer rides. I will definitely consider the cream. I once experienced horrible chafing after a day hiking out from the back country in the rain. I have no interest in having that happen while cycling.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s